A comprehensive dental exam is critical to your ongoing dental health and can only be performed by your dentist. At your initial dental appointment we ask that you arrive 15 minutes early and plan to spend 60-90 minutes in our office. Your first appointment at Forest Glen Dental will include a comprehensive oral examination as well as dental x-rays to help assess your oral health.
A dental exam can catch problems before you see or feel them. Identifying problems early makes them easier and less expensive to treat.
Your dentist will be looking for:
- Tooth decay and damage.
- Signs of cavities.
- Periodontal (gum) disease.
- Signs of oral cancer.
- Condition of previous dental work.
- General condition of your face, mouth and jaw.
The professional cleaning of teeth is sometimes referred to as dental prophylaxis (or prophy for short). The primary function of a dental cleaning appointment is the prevention of cavities (dental caries), gingivitis, and periodontal disease. Regular dental cleanings are the cornerstone for a lifetime of dental health.
Your cleaning appointment at Forest Glen Dental will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of tartar from above and below the gum line.
- Removal of plaque that forms on the teeth causing tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing to remove superficial stains and plaque not removed during tooth brushing and scaling.